So here we are, January 2014, and I am making a New Year's Resolution. This is a much shorter version of my actual list, but maybe these few goals will encourage you to make your own declaration of change for the year to come. These resolutions are broadly written, but be specific with yourself. Set dates and times. Set real goals so you can make them happen. Make them varied, and practical.
1. Solitude: Solitude was much more easily obtained when I was in college. My lifestyle flowed in a way where I could actually find times of rest and peace each week away from the noise of the daily grind. This is something I need more than ever. Time away from work, blogging, and all distractions. Meditation.
2. Cooking: Since we have moved back to California cooking has not been a huge priority. Don't get me wrong, Katie and I cook almost every night. But up in Portland we really pushed ourselves to grow as cooks. I need to push myself to be more intentional about meal planning. Less “easy meals.”
3. Cycling: I want to ride more. I don't ride every day to work, but I want to make it more of a priority. It's good for me. I should make this happen.
4. Whiskey Education: Yes, this is a goal of mine. I am always learning, but I could push myself much harder in this area. Tasting needs to be a larger priority. This year has been a big one for me, but I need to step up my game and get to be a real expert.
5. Date Night: Katie and I talk about the importance of this a lot. One should never stop dating their spouse or partner. Even when times get busy, or going out becomes financially tougher, it should NEVER stop. With the baby on the way, this is of great importance. This is a reminder to always make time.
To this next year! Try new things, work harder, and be safe!